Wednesday, January 31, 2007

My Bio - Life As A Dog

According to the Chinese zodiac, I am born in the year of the dog. And yes, I do exhibit dog-like traits. I am fiercely loyal, like to explore new territory, and love being cuddled by those I hold dear. But the reference to the 12 year Chinese calendar really begs the question…‘what kind of dog am I’?

A German Shepherd - Chocolate Labrador cross, I would have to say. German Shepherd describes the side of me that’s a go-getter, hunting for opportunity and moving aggressively toward my goals. This energy propelled me through law school, World Karate Championships and allowed me to survive as the third of a quartet of daughters raised as sons on a farm in Northern Canada to a Chinese father and Scottish mother.

Chocolate Lab describes the more mellow, introspective, and creative part of me developed as I experimented with different careers – law, management consulting, action movies, motivational speaking – to discover my passion for youth development. The lab in me loves the rejuvenating arts of music, meditation and yoga, and stands me in good stead as we raise our two preschool ‘puppies’.

Like any dog though, I’m quite content with good company, a full belly, and the opportunity to bark once in awhile. Yes, happiness can be that simple. Less is more. Maybe I’ll be a poodle in the next zodiac cycle.

3 comments:

Naheed said...

I love your hooks. You build on them along the way and weave a great narrative about who you are. All of us have multiple sides. You find a way to show your dimensions and lyrically link them to paint a picture; at ease with writing and ones-self.

Liz said...

If after meeting you once, I had to choose a dog that I thought reminded me of you...I would have chosen a lab. I hope that I get to meet the german shepherd one day. I probably already have...afterall it is you who have got us up and running with the blog.

The details of your life are interesting and important but the image of these two dog personalities round out who I now imagine you to be. Your voice is so strong in this piece. It does something to me to know that someone sounds so comfortable in themself.

Greg said...

A very interesting way to make me want to read your bio and to keep me thinking and smiling along the way. A good way to shepherd the reader through the lab of your life experience.